Thursday, July 26, 2007

Week 2 thing 2 Blog setup

I had a terrible time getting into this blog. I wrote down my password wrong and Amy helped me get back in. I wondered if I already had a blog from making the igoogle page. I think I might have 2 accounts now. I didn't realize at first that blogspot was a google product.

After I set up my blog, I could get to the webpage, but there was no entries. It turned out that I made a draft page and not an accepted post.

I was very happy that Amy helped me figure out what was happening wrong. I suppose one way to learn is learn by doing it wrong the first time!

Joanna

1 comment:

Amy said...

It's so true that the way to learn is to do it wrong the first time! (Though it's very, very hard for me personally, because I'm such a perfectionist and I desperately want to do it right the first time!)

I read a great post on Jenny Levine's blog about the Games, Learning, and Society conference:

http://www.theshiftedlibrarian.com/archives/2007/07/12/2007071201_gamer_mindset.html
"failure is absolutely critical to learning
failure is mapping the maze
learning from failure is the core of learning engineering
the model of IDEO is "fail early and fail often" - he would love to put that up in every school, but just thinking about that shows how big the gap is in our schools"

I saw Tom Kelley from IDEO, author of The Art of Innovation, at eVisioning a few years ago and was impressed by the way the company innovates. They could teach all of us something about fostering an environment for learning and creating, one that would include permission to fail. That's one I gotta remember.....sometimes it's easier to create that permissive learning environment for other people (like in our computer classes) than for ourselves!