Monday, September 3, 2007

Week 6 Thing 15 Library 2.0

The library 2.0 concept is fascinating because it seems like we are opening a whole new way of looking at libraries. I think customers would love to be able to get RSS feeds about new items added to our collection, especially on their favorite author or topic. I am wondering if tagging will help customers find what they want or if there will be lots of irrelevant tags that will cause lots of false "hits" for information.

I think in St. Mary's County, or at my library anyway, I've already felt the impact of being in "perpetual beta". Although it is sometimes exhausting, we are rarely bored with all of the new technology we keep learning about.

I am happy to be involved with the new Technology plan we are working on.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for our library vendors, such as Sirsi to make new software available that can handle some of these new technologies like tagging, RSS and participatory users.

No comments: